Quite frankly, a number of people take a negative stride when you mention the word “refurbished”. To them, refurbished may mean the product is a hand-me-down, nothing short of a second-rate object that may as well be defective or broken. The truth, however, is that a refurbished object is not broken or faulty. It means that the product is returned to the manufacturer for an assortment of reasons and then, going through some really intensive routines, is processed for a remanufacturing. This means that it went through the same process as all other new products would normally go through.
Should I Buy a Refurbished Desktop?
Gadgets and electronic appliances are usually subject to such a process. Unlike cars, an electronic gadget is refurbished without much consideration for changing a lot of its contents or internal function. For instance, when you sell a car, the odometer will tell you exactly the distance traveled. And it’s pretty much like telling your buyers how much mileage has been used. A PC or a desktop does not tell you a lot. Sure, you can change the mouse and the keyboard, or have the drive cleaned up and the operating system re-installed (if necessary) and the unit will still be almost like brand new, barring any broken or faulty pieces, of course. Regardless, a refurbished PC or laptop is still a good buy. Here are some reasons why:
- Refurbished products often have the best price for the best quality. A desktop which has been returned and refurbished are mostly in mint condition and works well enough like a brand new unit. It may have been returned because the buyer may have changed his mind about getting another model, or that some specifications are not met. Whatever these reasons may be, the desktop is still in top shape. And since they are refurbished, the price is not similar to that of a brand new one. So you basically get the best price and quality ratio for this particular product.
- And since most refurbished units are processed by the manufacturers themselves, it may also come with a warranty – although not for a while as the brand new ones. But still, that is a great thing, right? With the prices of electronic gadgets soaring up at present, it is a good idea to ask manufacturers first for their refurbished products.
- A number of business applications have the same basic software criteria. This means that refurbished units can perform any other tasks delegated to more upgraded models.
- As a matter of fact (in relation to the above mentioned point), there are newer products (meaning more upgraded models) which are available as refurbished units available in most stores. This certainly makes a lot of technically-savvy people out there really happy.
- The software program and internal functions of the desktop is still up and running with refurbished units. This simply means you can still do a lot with this type of equipment – and at such a bargain!
It would be advisable to always buy refurbished items directly from the manufacturer. Not only do you get a warranty and a better price, you are also assured that it has been remanufactured and retested to perform well on its function and specifications.